A-Maize-ing

It seems that every little thing is starting to annoy me. Besides the usual people I bitch about (okay, I'm really sorry. I can't help it and please, you guys do it too.), I got all pissed off at Greenpeace activists today.

We were watching a video on GMOs in class today and it was an ethical debate between researchers and environmentalists. Both sides had viable points which were dispensed by scientists, meaning they know what they're talking about. Each side had its merits and was worth considering.

But those Greenpeace activists. My God. Sometimes you wonder why do these people have to be so extreme. Why they plunder and cause massive destruction for the sake of getting attention. All at the expense of those farmers whose crops they ruin.

I mean its okay to want to educate the public about the choices they are making, or to highlight what is really happening with these crops. But to go as far as ruining the crops themselves or to stop field trials from being carried out is just plain ridiculous. How can you determine whether it's safe to consume if you don't do the experiments? The government even banned field tests in Mexico because of pressure from Greenpeace. And here are the farmers living in poverty with not much food source to sustain their lives.

Yea sure developed countries can say, 'We don't need GMOs coz we've got so many other choices already' but what about people in developing countries who can't grow natural crops due to infertile lands and lack of resources? Don't you think they deserve some help in the form of more hardy crops that can give higher yields with added nutrients?

It's not a be all end all situation. I'm sure you can find the middle ground somewhere. But until those barriers are broken and people open up their eyes, nothing can be done.

I used to be all excited about Greenpeace and PETA but now I realise that they're just a bunch of extremists imposing their ideals onto other people. Their main objective is indeed noble, but the means by which they obtain it is much akin to bullying.

Okay. Enough Rambling from me. :)

Labels: ,


@ Monday, October 13, 2008 1:49 PM

4 comments


Therapeutic Ramblings
A dash of Disney, a sprinkle of pop punk, lashings of sweet treats, a pinch of superheroes, bundles of laughter and a tinge of crankyness.
All wrapped up in a pretty package that resembles the Cookie Monster.
Also self proclaimed Princess of Le Cupcake Kingdom

Subscribe in a reader

Floats my Boat
People I love. Music. Sweet treats. Singing animals. Movies. Princes. Books. Fables. Hindustan Heroes.

Sinks my Ship
Rude people working in hospitality and sales. Long queues. Idiots CUTTING long queues. People who Patronise.

Wishlist
To finally figure out what I'm meant to do. To travel the world. To eat anything without gaining ungodly amounts of weight. To get my happily ever after. :)

Fellow Comrades
Arif
Asyi
Ayin
Azmir
Ba'ang
Christine
Dhirah
Dirah
Erin
Faezah
Faisal
Faiz
Hawa
Husna
Idzani
Izzati
Kristine
Liyana
May
Muhammad
Nadee
NAOMI
Neneq
Odd
Pasha
Reen
Sabrina
Shalini
Soraya
Sunny
Syaz
Tascha
Tasha
Yamud
Yani
Yaya
Zahirah
Zek

tagboard



Tweets
follow me on Twitter


Archives
credits
Thank you to * ├ętoile for such an awesome blogskin! :D
filante
icon: x_themixedtape background: darkdegree