Cuddling cats and terrorising terrapins

I was thinking of that story If told us a few nights ago. About the turtle who had a stone wedged in its eye. Ouch. I was just wondering what was it feeling. Pain? Discomfort?

How does it express pain? Ive never actually heard turtles wail in agony. Does it trash around like Darryl Hannah in Kill Bill? Or does it just grow used to it after some time?

And how do we try to comfort a turtle? Or reptiles in general? I know you can comfort mammals and birds but what about these prehistoric beings? Are they capable of feeling the love we project towards them? I suppose certain pet owners might say yes. But how do we do that? U can hug dogs, scratch a cat's neck, stroke a bird's chest but I doubt cuddling a terrapin sounds very appealing to most people.

I read somewhere that we humans have three brains in one: the reptilian, the paleo-mammalian and the neo-mammalian, each being layered on top of each other through evolution. The limbic system which controls emotions lie in the paleo-mammalian division which is what we share with other mammals. And since the reptilian sector only has the basic functions as well as territorial and dominant attributes, I assume that reptiles have a lower capacity towards feeling emotions.

However, I would still like to believe that they do unconciously feel emotions even if just a little. They are after all sentient beings like us and the rest of higher animal world. Therefore, I shall end my self righteous, animal-loving, tree-hugging tirade with a reminder NOT to hurt animals and show them as much love and compassion as possible because they CAN feel it. Thanks. :D

ps: Here's the article if u guys decide to read it. I know not everyone finds this appealing, but to those who do, just give it a shot.


@ Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:25 PM

7 comments


Therapeutic Ramblings
A dash of Disney, a sprinkle of pop punk, lashings of sweet treats, a pinch of superheroes, bundles of laughter and a tinge of crankyness.
All wrapped up in a pretty package that resembles the Cookie Monster.
Also self proclaimed Princess of Le Cupcake Kingdom

Subscribe in a reader

Floats my Boat
People I love. Music. Sweet treats. Singing animals. Movies. Princes. Books. Fables. Hindustan Heroes.

Sinks my Ship
Rude people working in hospitality and sales. Long queues. Idiots CUTTING long queues. People who Patronise.

Wishlist
To finally figure out what I'm meant to do. To travel the world. To eat anything without gaining ungodly amounts of weight. To get my happily ever after. :)

Fellow Comrades
Arif
Asyi
Ayin
Azmir
Ba'ang
Christine
Dhirah
Dirah
Erin
Faezah
Faisal
Faiz
Hawa
Husna
Idzani
Izzati
Kristine
Liyana
May
Muhammad
Nadee
NAOMI
Neneq
Odd
Pasha
Reen
Sabrina
Shalini
Soraya
Sunny
Syaz
Tascha
Tasha
Yamud
Yani
Yaya
Zahirah
Zek

tagboard



Tweets
follow me on Twitter


Archives
credits
Thank you to * ├ętoile for such an awesome blogskin! :D
filante
icon: x_themixedtape background: darkdegree