Someday you'll sing it out loud, one day this'll make you proud

I think we are the reflections of our parents. For us girls, it is especially apparent in the similarities we have with our mothers. I mean, we do get a healthy dose of traits from our dads as well, but naturally, since we're females, our mothers are our number one role model when we're growing up so we end up mimicking her. Even if we hate to admit it, we are turning out to be like our parents, consciously or otherwise.

When you look at someone's parents, you observe a lot of similarities that make you go 'Aaahh…so THAT's where they got it from!'. It's quite fun actually watching them interact and you get to see how alike they are. For instance, Erin's parents are here and I noticed that she gets her whole 'selambaness' and strong personality from her mom. She also happens to get her fondness of having lengthy discussions from her dad. Her parents have such great character and it's no wonder Erin turned to be just as great as well.
Fini's parents were here as well a while ago. Her mom is such a sweetheart! She's more of the 'ayu' kind but she appreciates good humour and isn't shy about laughing out loud, which is pretty much like Fini herself. She's also quite bookish which is apparent in Fini's love of curling up in bed with a book before she dozes off. I think Fini gets her strong principles and self discipline (trust me, it actually IS stronger than you think Fini) from her dad. And likewise, these combinations turned out quite well in Fini.

All those thoughts of their parents made me think about my own characteristics. If you were to see my dad, you would know that I get my laid back attitude (must be all those Sunday mornings reading the papers with the stereo blasting 80s rock) from him as well as his weird sense of humour. If you were to see my mom, you'd see this small woman with such a huge, warm smile whose principles are not easily swayed by other people (actually, my brother gets that. Not me. :D). She can amazingly talk and listen to anyone and is quite emotional. Oh boy, is she emotional. It's not so much of crying and pouring her heart out, its more of saying the right things that involves matters of the heart and she does take all of it very seroiusly. Yes, THAT one I got from her. Hee.

And um, while I was listing down these criteria, I had a mental flash of my mom clasping her hands while retelling one of her colleagues' jokes and as she threw her head back in that famous resonating laughter of hers, I started crying. I don't mean little tears streaming down. These were full shoulder heaving sobs. And it felt GOOD. I haven't cried like that for the past 3-4 months. Ah well, at least my pent up homesickness released itself. Now I feel better. I still miss her and the rest loads but I can push it aside for awhile or at least till the next time I feel stressed. Muahahahaha…

I don't mind turning out like my parents. I see that they've turned out well Alhamdulillah. There are some traits that I wish I could emulate, like not giving a damn about how other people perceive you, but perhaps these things I would still have to learn myself as I grow older. We'll just have to wait and see 20 years from now eh? *peace*

@ Saturday, June 02, 2007 1:05 PM

6 comments


Therapeutic Ramblings
A dash of Disney, a sprinkle of pop punk, lashings of sweet treats, a pinch of superheroes, bundles of laughter and a tinge of crankyness.
All wrapped up in a pretty package that resembles the Cookie Monster.
Also self proclaimed Princess of Le Cupcake Kingdom

Subscribe in a reader

Floats my Boat
People I love. Music. Sweet treats. Singing animals. Movies. Princes. Books. Fables. Hindustan Heroes.

Sinks my Ship
Rude people working in hospitality and sales. Long queues. Idiots CUTTING long queues. People who Patronise.

Wishlist
To finally figure out what I'm meant to do. To travel the world. To eat anything without gaining ungodly amounts of weight. To get my happily ever after. :)

Fellow Comrades
Arif
Asyi
Ayin
Azmir
Ba'ang
Christine
Dhirah
Dirah
Erin
Faezah
Faisal
Faiz
Hawa
Husna
Idzani
Izzati
Kristine
Liyana
May
Muhammad
Nadee
NAOMI
Neneq
Odd
Pasha
Reen
Sabrina
Shalini
Soraya
Sunny
Syaz
Tascha
Tasha
Yamud
Yani
Yaya
Zahirah
Zek

tagboard



Tweets
follow me on Twitter


Archives
credits
Thank you to * étoile for such an awesome blogskin! :D
filante
icon: x_themixedtape background: darkdegree